[RTTY] PW0T - disgusting!

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] PW0T - disgusting!
From: mobile.workshop@guernseytelecoms.com (Mobile Workshop)
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:33:10 -0000
Hi Doug, and to the group,

For me, I think it may be better to simply say UP, rather than UP 2 - 8, as
the DX often listens more than 8 up anyway,

It doesn't seem to matter how far UP you specify either, as there is always
some moron that only goes up 5Hz rather than 5kHz!
That was evident during PW0T on CW and also on RTTY.  On CW, there were many
calling so close - but up the tiniest bit - that it almost blocked the DX
frequency. This then only prompts the self-styled "policemen" to holler UP
UP UP all the time.

I guess we all make the odd mistake of forgetting to hit the SPLIT button
once in a while, but I simply don't understand how some assume such an
operation ISN'T going to work split?

I found the 5U8B session in WPX quite good (maybe because I got them!) where
they were on 21100 and saying "listening 130 - 140". That created a good
split (although not the best choice in a contest) and allowed many to work
them quite easily.
On 10 and 15, this is relatively easy, but on 20m, you have to avoid all
those Tor and packet stations.

No doubt there will be problems simply because we are fortunate enough to
have both PW0T and TI9M on RTTY at the same time! Might be better all round
if they simply operated RTTY for a longer session? Doing a short burst of
RTTY only increases the frustrations of everyone, and leads to panic, and
overmodulation in a vain attempt to get through. Running a full 24 hours on
RTTY at least once in a dxpedition would lower all that, and give some of us
a better chance of making it.

As I said before, little pistols like me ain't gonna break the pile on the
first day, so it pays to wait a while. Both these stations will be on RTTY
again, and it's a game of patience.

Good luck with your trip Doug, and let's hope there is plenty of RTTY from
all...............

73 de Phil GU0SUP

and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom
they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the author immediately and delete it, together
with all copies, from your system.  You are unauthorised to
directly, or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print or copy
any part of this message if you are not its intended recipient.
 Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of
Guernsey Telecoms Ltd.

Information held on any of Guernsey Telecoms' computer
systems is the property of Guernsey Telecoms Ltd. Guernsey
Telecoms Ltd reserves the right to monitor and review the
content of all information, messages and attachments sent
to or from this e-mail address.