[RTTY] PW0T - disgusting!

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] PW0T - disgusting!
From: k4ww@arrl.net (Shelby Summerville)
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 05:18:22 -0500
Ekki, DF4OR, wrote: "Off of the DX freq, at meetings, wherever someone
listens to what you say."

Great advice....I seem to remember a TV commercial, it has to have been in
recent years as my memory is akin to some of my other other body
parts.."short and seldom used", that focused on the fact that most people
"hear, but don't listen"! Unless one is "hearing impaired", hearing is taken
for granted? OTOH, "listening" takes concentration? There are a few that
"intentionally" disrupt any activity, regardless of it's nature, that others
enjoy! If ignored, to the point that their own "childish" disruptions aren't
even acknowledged, they will usually go away? I use "childish" only because
most children use some sort of disruption to get attention? Once these
"children" are "properly educated", they determine that the consequnce(s)
for the disruption are usually not worth the attention it attracts? The
education sources are there for their use, and everyone that cares to use
them, on many RTTY related web sites created by experienced RTTY operators!
I attribute most of these problems to (1) "our" over zealous attitude to "be
first in everything" and (2) the "never ending chase for awards", regardless
of by whom they are offered. I admit to being a part of that "chase", and
get a "warm and fuzzy feeling" seeing my own callsign creep toward the top
of the list! Having never been on a DXPedetion, I cannot offer any "how
to's" for them, but, for me, I have found that a "lot more listening than
transmitting" reaps better results? Good Luck to all that still need them.
C'Ya, Shelby