[RTTY] 3w2lws now in 15m rtty

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] 3w2lws now in 15m rtty
From: dhill@cprk.com (Hill, Don)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:25:40 -0600
This is not an easy path for South Central and perhaps East Coast USA.
However, Saturday
night 10 p.m. local time (0400Z Sunday), Hans was spotted by our friend Chen
AA6TY/7 in Oregon
on the short path on 15M RTTY.

I tuned to the frequency and could barely tell Hans was there.  I did copy
the PY station that
was working him.  I got to thinking about the PY and guessed that perhaps
the PY was working
Hans on what would be long path for my area.  I turned the beam south and
Hans' signal came
up to S5 on the long path and he was excellent copy.  I was able to call him
and we had a nice QSO.
I told him I tried on 17M RTTY on Saturday when he was spotted in EU, but
could not copy.  He
said he would try more 17M RTTY.  The next day, a friend of mine on the East
Coast USA said
he could not copy Hans on either the short or long path at 0400Z.

15 meters has been very good in the past couple of weeks.  Last night EY8MM
was S-9 (SP) at about
the same time (0400Z Monday).  So don't forget about the long path either.
I worked YA5T on 15M at
1300Z on the long path a couple weeks ago.  When the spot came out, I tuned
to the frequency
and could copy fairly well SP and started calling.  Then someone on the
cluster from the USA put out
that he was S9 on the long path.  I turned the antenna long path and their
signal was very strong.
I was able to get through on just a couple of calls.

RTTY DX'ing has been extremely exciting these past couple of days.  It's my
week to edit the
VK2SG RTTY DX Notes and I don't ever recall reporting this much RTTY DX!
PW0T, TI9M & H7DX
have been extremely active on RTTY - even Monk Apollo made an appearance on
15M RTTY this past
weekend.

George, W1ZT, theorized to me that perhaps having the DXpeditions going on
right now might
be bringing out other rare or semi-rare DX on RTTY.  This may very well be
true.

If you have increased your RTTY country total in the past couple of days,
you haven't been trying.

Have fun!
73, Don AA5AU