[RTTY] Ritty and Notebooks

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Ritty and Notebooks
From: walt@hawaii.rr.com (Walt Niemczura)
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:03:15 -1000
RTTY Folks,

I've setup RITTY on a wide selection of laptops including most of the IBM
Think Pad series, Toshiba's Dell's, the older Sony Viao's (I have a new
FX-240 that is stubborn) and it seems to work fine.

Brian has expanded on the sound card that are compatible and has added
a feature where you can use an external mixer program.

Borrowing from the RITTY.DOC manual (Copyright 2001 by Brian Beezley, K6STI):
<paste>
        ---- SOUND CARD ------------------------------------------------

                RITTY works with most sound cards, but a 16-bit Creative
        Labs card (non-PCI bus) works best.  Other cards may provide
        inadequate input/output levels, offer only coarse level
        adjustment, or exhibit limited dynamic range.

                RITTY displays sound-card A/D resolution and mixer type
        at startup.  "Full mixer" means a CT1745 or equivalent mixer
        chip with complete source control and 40 level settings 2 dB
        apart.  "Partial mixer" means a CT1345 with eight 6-dB levels
        and no mic input-level control.  "Primitive mixer" means a
        CT1335 with no source selection or input-level control, and with
        eight 6-dB output levels.  (Cost-cutting, depopulated cards may
        exhibit fewer levels and coarser steps than these design specs.)

                If you find RITTY's mixer control to be inadequate with
        your sound card, you can try an external mixer utility by adding
        M to the RITTY command line.  This option internally disables
        RITTY's source and level controls.

                RITTY uses the SET BLASTER statement to determine sound-
        card hardware settings (I/O address, IRQ level, DMA channels).
        You may need to configure your card to these settings by
        executing a utility such as DIAGNOSE in AUTOEXEC.BAT or CTCM in
        CONFIG.SYS.  See your sound-card manual for details.

<end paste>

I think that only one of the IBM's had a true Creative Labs chip sent. All
others were some kind of knockoff. However, the "SET BLASTER" command and
the "RITTY M" option sorted these out.

Go with the older models (more than two years old). These devices are more
likely to work and to have the available external mixer software in DOS
format. In most cases RITTY can do some basic control even with the most
"primitive mixer".

Hope this helps.

73 an Aloha,

Walt