[RTTY] SO1R vs. SO2R Discussion

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] SO1R vs. SO2R Discussion
From: wfking@worldnet.att.net (Wayne F. King)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 05:52:36 -0500
First let me state that I respect everyone's opinion and I don't care
how many radios you use. Don AA5AU has been very helpful to all of us.
I believe he is trying elmer all RTTY contesters and that he would love
to have the playing field leveled. Don welcomes competition. So with
that said just a couple of comments on Don's statements.

Don Hill AA5AU wrote:

> I respect everyone's opinion on this.  But it is possible to still win with
> SO1R.
> Look at K4GMH in the 2001 WAE - 1st place non-Europe.  I was SO2R,
> he was SO1R.  He was not using a tribander.  I was.  So SO1R using a
> tribander, more than likely, is not going to win.  Would you expect it to?

I think the 10 minute rule in WAE limits the use of using 2 radios. So I
think this is a little smoke and mirrors statement. Congrats to Mike for
this fine effort.

> There is no conspiracy going on here either.  BARTG has changed it's
> rules to include a Single-Op Expert class tailored to SO2R.  SO1R ops
> requests to have a separate category has placed band change restrictions on
> them.  I don't agree with those rules, but then again, I didn't ask for them,
> SO1R ops did.  But these band change rules can be expected for SO1R ops
> if we expect those folks to play by the rules.

BARTG did change the rules but if you place in the top ten then you are in the

Expert Class for the next three years in all their contests. I bet there
will be some disappointed SO1R stations next next year. I don't
understand BARTG's thinking on this. I think the Sprint and the Spring
contests are completely different contests.

Don, keep up the nice work on educating the troops on RTTY contesting.

73,
Wayne N2WK