[RTTY] SO1R vs. SO2R Discussion

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] SO1R vs. SO2R Discussion
From: w7ti@dslextreme.com (w7ti@dslextreme.com)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:55:53 -0800 (PST)
>Quite simply there are too many lazy contesters who don't want to
>make the minor investment to keep up with the state of the art
>and/or continue to upgrade their skills.
>73,
>   ... Joe, K4IK

Please don't paint us all with the same brush, Joe.  I am one of the
main separate-category advocates, but I have been set up for two-
radio contesting for years.  However, I operate one-radio almost
always.  On a contest I'm not particularly interested in, I may
operate two radios, mainly looking for new countries.

Laziness has nothing to do with it, nor does the expense nor do
the "skills".  I just prefer one-radio, but I like to compete on a
level playing field and have a chance to win.

If you're wondering why I feel this way, it's because I like to take
a more-or-less "normal" station and see what I can do with it, rather
than use a station built especially for contesting.  I realize the
definition of "normal" is up for grabs, but I'd think most folks
would agree it has only one radio.

As I've said before, I think the best solution would be a WARC-style
class, where the whole station is carefully defined, not just the
number of radios.  I'd like to see the competition be mainly
operating skill and propagation knowledge rather than hardware
acquisition.  We need to attract more hams into contesting, and being
able to be highly competitive with a "normal" station would go a long
way, IMO.

73, Bill W7TI