[RTTY] SO1R / SO2R

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] SO1R / SO2R
From: chen@mac.com (Kok Chen)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:21:12 -0800
On 3/26/02 1:16 PM, Dave G4WFQ wrote

> High power / Low power  means very little to me.
>
> 100W into vertical/dipole = (3dbi * 100) = EIRP 300W
> 100W into directional antenna = (8dbi * 100) = EIRP 800W
> (One could assume the same advantage in receive).
>
> Instead of High power / Low power, how about :-
>
> A). Multi - Element antenna (with directivity)
> B). Single - Element antenna (no directivity)

Ooohhhh!  I LIKE this!

But, why not just drop the directivity A&B category altogether.

Just use transmit EIRP (since directivity is already baked into
that figure) as the "category".  Allow the station to use any
receive antenna (Beverage, rhombic, loop, Yagi-Uda, etc).

Each band may have a different antenna, thus different EIRP.

But, if this can be solved if we were to use EIRP like a
multiplier, each band will come with your personal multiplier.

We don't need high/low power, good/crippled antenna categories at all.

We just need an EIRP mult and everybody in the contest is in the same
category. (Note I said category, and not class.  We know AA5AU is in
a class all by himself, HI HI).

If you want to cripple the multi-radio guys, just define the EIRP
as the sum of the EIRP of each radio/antenna in use.  Probably not
fair, since they don't transmit on two transmitters at the same time :-).

Hmmm, if EIRP is too confusing a number, how about just use Power
and antenna gain as separate mults (that you sum before multiplying).
Add power in dBW to antenna gain in dB.

OK, end of evil thoughts...

73
Chen, AA6TY