[RTTY] 3XY8A

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] 3XY8A
From: k2yg@verizon.net (k2yg@verizon.net)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 8:51:42 -0500

> From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
> >
> Could someone please tell Francois to send the other stations call at both
> the BEGINNING and END of the transmission?
> 73 - Jim AD1C

This should be gospel for any rare or semi rare operation.  On the right coast
Francois was strong enough to get along well without doing this, but I did see
enough repeats to indicate this is a problem for some.  I risk of boring
everyone, I repeat my admonition:  The DX station should make his call longer
than the those of stations calling him.  And all of us calling stations should
try to make our calls shorter than the DX station's transmission.  Here is a
time line example of simultaneous transmissions:

Time>>>>>>>>>

    AA5AU AA5AU UR 599 599 AA5AU DE 3XY8A K

  DE K2YG K2YG K2YG K2YG

  3XY8A DE K2RAD K2RAD K2RAD K2RAD K2RAD PSE K

Even though the DX started calling someone while I was transmitting, I still
can tell he is working someone, and maybe even who.  K2RAD doesn't even know
the DX has transmitted, so he'll probably start calling again, perhaps qrming
AA5AU.  There are always many stations making long calls to rare DX while the
DX is working someone else.  I hope that is simply because they don't hear any
of the DX's transmission because their own transmission is too long.

And while encouraging activity on WARC bands is great, I question if this is
fair when there are some ops calling who have not yet worked the country, and
the current band is the best chance for them.

Not to hide hypocrisy, I have 3X confirmed on RTTY, and
I did work them again, but it was QRP (#202 RTTY qrp) so I don't feel too
quilty.

73 no offence.

Dave
K2YG