[RTTY] Why 50 Baud ??

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Why 50 Baud ??
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 21:17:18 -0500
I've spent some time watching Ed the past few weeks on 50 baud.
There really isn't much difference.  It's like 60 wpm vs. 66 wpm.

Remarkably, it's working rather well for him.  Even when his signal
is not very good (like right now here), callsigns are highlighting in the middle
of the alphabet soup on my screen.

It's been stated that Ed prefers faster baud rates and would
like to do 75 baud (100 wpm).  Perhaps he thinks 45 baud is too slow.

However, I still think that he went to 50 baud my mistake at the beginning
and has chosen to use it because there is a certain keystroke that he was
doing to put his computer in 50 baud.  I see that he went to 45 baud
tonight.  That could have been because he was reading the riot act to
someone who was QRM'ing him and forgot to switch back.  This only
my theory, only Ed really knows.  Maybe he thinks 50 baud is better.

Sometimes when watching his 50 baud RTTY, it seems that it's fast
enough that during a fade, there isn't enough time for a break in the characters
and the print still comes through, whereas if he were at 45 baud, there may
have been a hit.  I don't really know, but 50 baud seems just as good for
HF as 45 baud.  Maybe we all should be doing it.

73, Don AA5AU