[RTTY] Anyone get a virus from me???

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Anyone get a virus from me???
From: hamcat@directvinternet.com (K4SB)
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 16:47:40 +0000
Andrew J O'Brien wrote:
> I am just checking to make sure that I am not sending out viruses/worms?

Your email did not trigger my Norton protection. (Systemworks 2002,
and 2002 Firewall )

But, a couple of comments. First of all, I would suggest you NEVER
quarantine an infected file. Delete the sucker! Secondly, while I do
not wish to comment publicly on the manufacturer of a well known virus
detection program, I was told by the head tech at Microcenter in
Marietta that "it is practically worthless". So you might want to
consider what program you are using.
----------------------
> This morning I received this email
>
> The following mail can't be sent to w7ntf@aol.com:
>
> From: obrienaj@netsync.net
> To: w7ntf@aol.com
> Subject: japanese lass' sexy pictures
> The attachment is the original mail

I am also confused about your comments as to the above message. Did
you in fact send
it, or did it just appear? If you didn't send it, your email address
has been badly compromised, as well as your probable password.

As to viruses, I was amazed when instaling the Norton firewall to see
it scan to see how many applications on my HD had internet access.
Microsoft Word, several Win98 files, and of all things, windows media
player. I think there were 41 in all. You can bet your boots that
there are only 2 allowed now.

I also read recently about a worm which has the ability to disguise
itself as a harmless
text file, but when triggered, will copy a legitimate Windows file to
another name, rename itself to that file copied, and do it's nasty
work. It then renames itself back to the text file and restores the
original Windows file.

Another news item of interest. NBC I think. Seems there were a little
over 400,000 attempted hacks into the DOD computer in 2001. 65% were
successful in gaining access.