[RTTY] RE: DE

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RE: DE
From: w4ox@bellsouth.net (w4ox@bellsouth.net)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 18:25:12 -0500
Finally someone else with the same dilemma.  I use RCKRtty, and it requires DE
to highlight a call so that I can click on it with the mouse.  Otherwise, I
have to type in the call.  The problem is exacerbated by those who have trigger
function key fingers and send their calls again in the slightly longer time it
takes for my fat fingers to type in the call.  It did not seem to be as
prevalent a "problem" this past weekend, but still an annoyance nevertheless.

73, and thanks to all for the Q's during my part-time effort.

Doug, W4OX

AA5AU wrote:

Good question.  A lot of software require the DE to trigger the highlighting of
the callsign to follow.  Some programs, such as WriteLog, do not require the
DE before the call.  A callsign will highlight automatically as it scrolls
across the
screen if it is in the .dta file that is active for that particular log.  Also
any callsign
previously worked and in that log will highlight without DE.

However, if a callsign is not in the database, not previously worked and logged
and not followed by DE, it will not highlight.  Not all programs behave this
way,
I'm guessing.

Personally, I want my callsign to highlight on the other station's screen no
matter
what.  So I will always put a DE in front of my call.  It saves time on the
other end
which invariably saves time on my end.

I guess some believe their call is going to highlight on the other person's
screen without
the DE.  But not everyone runs WriteLog.  I believe it's good practice to use
DE before
your callsign like DE AA5AU AA5AU K.  Not necessarily DE AA5AU DE AA5AU K.

It would be interesting to see how all the other RTTY contest software
functions.

Good point to bring up Nils.

73, Don