[RTTY] Software for BARTG Sprint contest

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Software for BARTG Sprint contest
From: W0YR@aol.com (W0YR@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:36:19 EST
Question:

Why do you and other contest managers insist on inflicting Cabrillo on
everyone?

Would it not have made more sense to notify the amateur public and the
contesting software writers that they have a year to update/modify their
products, and THEN require people to use it?

Secondly, why can't contest managers first arrange for a Cabrillo conversion
file that could be downloaded from the contest rules site?

Instead, contestants are forced to either buy a conversion program or search
around for one and figure out how to use it, hoping that it will not mangle
their submission.

At a time that contesters are bemoaning decreasing participation in contests,
the breathless rush to Cabrillo has made contesting  less attractive for the
casual participant, the very people NEEDED to increase the popularity of
contests.  While making things easier for themselves, contest managers have
now infuriated many of the very people they may wish to attract.

I know I will be branded as wrongheaded in this matter but I have found a
very large number of casual contest operators who have finally said, "screw
it, life is too short for this."

This is clearly a textbook case of:

Ready ------   Fire   ---- Aim!

Mike