[RTTY] Re Cabrillo files

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Re Cabrillo files
From: Phil.Cooper@cwgg.cwplc.com (Phil Cooper)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:01:10 -0000
Hi all............

I understand the need for Cabrillo, as far as contest managers are
concerned, and therefore support the whole concept of Cabrillo.

My gripe is that most of us mere mortals don't know whether the resulting
output is a "good" Cabrillo file or not!
Last year, even Writelog got the format wrong for one of the BARTG contests,
as it didn't log the exchanged time correctly.
Yes, I know there are samples on the Cabrillo website, but they mean very
little to me, and even less when it comes to the BARTG contest where you
don't exchange RST, and the time is included.

I guess we trust that a Cabrillo file generated from any of the software
programs will do what it says it will, but it now looks as though many MMTTY
users could be disappointed.

I also wonder just how many entrants in the contest fail to submit a log,
just because they can't or won't convert it to Cabrillo?
Does this not put some folk off participating?

Some rules indicate that an electronic log should be in Cabrillo, but then
give an address for paper logs. I wonder if this has caused an increase in
the number of paper logs submitted to contest managers? Any comments from
any managers?

One solution seems a bit obvious, but wouldn't it be useful to include a
sample Cabrillo layout in the rules of the contest?
At least that would allow many of us to check that we have something similar
to what is required.
I am pleased to say that this has been done for the two BARTG contests! Well
done John GW4SKA.
Now, why can't others follow this lead?

73 all
de Phil GU0SUP

and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom
they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the author immediately and delete it, together
with all copies, from your system.  You are unauthorised to
directly, or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print or copy
any part of this message if you are not its intended recipient.
 Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of
Cable and Wireless Guernsey.

Information held on any of Cable and Wireless Guernseys'
computer systems is the property of Cable and Wireless Guernsey.
Cable and Wireless Guernsey reserves the right to monitor
and review the content of all information, messages and
attachments sent to or from this e-mail address.