[RTTY] WPX ON5MF SOAB LOW

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] WPX ON5MF SOAB LOW
From: on5mf at skynet.be (ON5MF)
Date: Tue Feb 11 12:27:06 2003
                     CQ/RJ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: ON5MF

Class: SOAB LP
Operating Time (hrs): 27.5 approximately

   80:   97   394
   40:  139   574
   20:  259   569
   15:  195   458
   10:   85   218
-----------------
Total:  775  2213  Prefixes = 340  Total Score = 752,420

Club: KTK

Comments:

This should have been my first experiment with SO2R but...  When setting up the
station on friday night, the soundcard on the second computer didn't want to
put out any sound. (Everything had been tested earlier except that particular
soundcard...). After losing some time trying to get it working I decided to
modify my setup and use my PTCIIe on the second transceiver. Made some cables
for it, had everything connected OK but when listening to my own transmission
on the air, the hum on my signal was bigger than the actual rtty tones. I guess
there must be some problem with an ground connection somewhere...  will have to
look at that before the next contest.  As it was getting pretty late I gave up
on the SO2R and went for SO1R.

As I didn't have enough sleep in the week before the contest (to many business
meetings) and I had to work on monday, I planned my operating times according
to this and not to optimise the score.

Lost another hour on sunday afternoon because of a (false) fire alert at my
company.

This was also my first contest with MMTTY and Writelog which worked almost
flawlessly. MMTTY + RTTYRITE froze 3 or 4 times during the contest but could be
restarted pretty fast by closing the window and opening it again.

So that's for the excuses for the disappointing score :-)

Nevertheless I had a lot of fun working all of you ! Highlights were working JA
for the first time ever on 40, and working 9M2 and 9G for new ones on RTTY.

I have learned a lot (again) and I'll try to do better next time.

Equipment:

Yaesu FT990
80m + 40m : inverted V at 15 m
20m + 15m + 10m : 3 elt 3-bander at 16 m
Writelog 10.38D + MMTTY 1.62

73

Jo ON5MF