[RTTY] Operating PSK-31 from DX locations

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Operating PSK-31 from DX locations
From: w4wx at bellsouth.net (Billy R. Gallier)
Date: Sun Mar 23 10:59:17 2003
Hello Digital Operators..
During my DXPeditions I operate a lot of RTTY.  In the past I used a KAM+ but
during the last year or so I switched to MMTTY using Windows in order to allow
me to do some PSK-31 as requested by a lot of digital mode users.

PSK-31 is a very slow mode and normally takes more time to work pileups from a
DX location.  I have included "no brags" in my CQ line and at times I will
include "report only" in my QRZ line.  This is done only to allow contacts with
those wanting a short QSO to confirm a country.  I am not looking for a long
brag line which includes the brand name of your computer stand.

During my operation from Haiti as HH4/W4WX I did about 1300 RTTY (another opr
did about 800 RTTY) QSO's and 76 PSK-31.  While working PSK-31 on the 17th of
March around 0105Z I Had a nice pileup going and was working guys as called. I
would write down the calls and call in order.  I saw KO4QC call me couple times
and when his turned came I worked him in the short format I was using.  He had
been copying me since he would call after each over (K).  After I worked him he
came back with "That QSO sucked"... He knew how I was operating and did not
have to call me.

I would also get long brag lines from some stations even after I asked not to
receive them.  So for these reason is why I don't do PSK-31 as much as I would
like.

The leaders of the digital population need to educate people on how to work a
DXPedition.  They need two sets of buffers (macros), one for rag chewing and
one for DXPeditions.  (Personally I don't understand why anyone would want to
know about what type of  computer you are using, memory, locations with
distance in miles for a major city, etc, etc...)  I also notice even after
sending out a 599 report a reply will include my call four or fives times and
everything is repeated two or three times?

I spend many dollars out of my pocket to go on 3 to 4 dxpedition each year.
The trip to Haiti was not the best place in world to be.  Travel advisories
from our State Department advising not to go.  Very unsafe, two flights (one
prop type without AC!) and 2 hour bus ride, weather hot, we had no AC,  boat
with food never arrived, two shots required along with malaria pills, nasty.

I will be in San Andres in October for 8 days and planning trip to VQ9...I am
sure Montserrat and GTMO will be in there too.  Will I work PSK-31...not too
sure at this point...

Summary - Remember you don't have to call the DXPedition station. But if you do
remember it is his game.  Play by his rules or QSY. When you make your trips,
do it your way!

73
Bill W4WX