[RTTY] Operating PSK-31 from DX locations

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Operating PSK-31 from DX locations
From: W0YR at aol.com (W0YR@aol.com)
Date: Thu Mar 27 06:54:00 2003
Scott,

You have rediscovered the "Golden Kernel" of our hobby -- CW.  Sadly, most of
the "new generation" of amateurs will never experience it, because they have
been convinced by the whiners and non-achievers that it is a worthless and
anachronistic way to communicate. Well, I am worthless and a living
anachronism, so the mode fits me very well!

On RTTY, there is still a lot of good 'ol rag chewing.  I don't mean
Macro-chewing where two stations fire back and forth mindless macros.  I am
referring to actually copying, reading and reacting to what the other
guy/lady says and composing an appropriate response.

But therein lies the problem......COMPOSING.   On a keyboard oriented mode,
there is a requirement for typing.  One doesn't have to be a 60 wpm typist.
An accomplished Hunt 'n Pecker can become a proficient keyboard-mode
communicator if he/she works at it.  But that's the problem.  The Macro-Mob
are not proficient typists and they will never make an attempt to become
such.

There are millions of proficient typists around, but they don't know anything
about our hobby, and how could the exchanging of canned messages possibly
appeal to them?  Hopefully, this dilemma will be alleviated as soon as
someone schooled in artificial intelligence writes software to interface with
PSK/MSK.  The software will be able to detect call signs and will actually be
able to conduct the "QSO." What is actually sent back and forth is of little
consequence so long as the right buttons are pushed and a canned signal
report and lengthy station description is exchanged and the other operator
receives a canned "thanks for info" macro.  A computer can do that.  Why
should a human get involved?

I predict that within three years you'll be able to turn on your computer,
fire up PSK/MSK, rush off to work in the morning or go to the seashore over
the weekend.  When you return home you'll just look at your computer screen
and see who you worked!!!   Heck, the computer can even print out the QSL
cards and apply postage to them.

Unfortunately, you will still have to physically put the cards in a mailbox,
but with the advent of electronic QSLs you may never have to touch a QSL card
again!!!

The pinnacle of achievement for the digital modes will be when you can just
get a weekly or monthly printout of what stations you have worked, your
country/county totals, etc.  DXCC applications will be automatic. We should
all look forward to the day that humans rarely have to do any of the mundane
functions associated with having a QSO!!!

I can't wait.

73

Mike
W?YR