Fwd: Re: [RTTY] ANARTS not requiring the / ?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Fwd: Re: [RTTY] ANARTS not requiring the / ?
From: w7ti at ispwest.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Tue Jun 10 11:12:11 2003
On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:19:57 -0400, Phil Florig <W9IXX@arrl.net>
wrote:

>I have been mostly chasing DX and have been "up in the air" about using
>the /4.  I lets the person know that I am in 4 land but that is about it.
>Most of the time for DX it doesn't matter to the DX station.  Problem is
>when the DX calls for the "4's" am I ok to jump in the pile.  HI....
>This has caused some problems as one DX station would not work me because
>I jumped in with the /4 and he said I was a 9 and didn't get in the log.
>When he got to the 9's he wouldn't respond to me. (Selective hearing???  HI.)

As you mentioned elsewhere in your post, DXing is a different issue
from contesting.  FWIW, I never use the /6 when DXing, ragchewing or
anything but contesting.  The FCC says my call sign is W7TI,
regardless of where I am in the US, and that's that.

I have been tempted to use the /6 when a DX station asks for *sixes*,
but so far I've been able to restrain myself.  :-)

73, Bill W7TI