[RTTY] Lost Opportunity?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Lost Opportunity?
From: w7ti at ispwest.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Tue Jul 1 15:30:28 2003
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:52:30 +1200, "Frank ZL2BR"
<ditdah@infogen.net.nz> wrote:

>IMHO an opportunity has been lost to introduce an new innovative
>points/multiplier system that will stimulate and promote inter-
>continental activity and contacts.

On 160 meters there is the Stew Perry distance challenge which uses
grid squares for point scoring.  http://web.jzap.com/k7rat/stew.html

As far as I know, there are no RTTY contests which use distance as a
counter, so here is a chance for some of the innovation Frank is
talking about.  (The new TARA Grid Dip contest uses grid squares, but
only as mults, not as a distance measure).

How about simply adding up all the miles (or kilometers) worked for a
final score?  Just count the miles/km from the center of your grid
square to the center of the other grid score and add them up?

I think this might help to equalize the geographic advantage in
certain parts of the world since this would be a true "DX" contest
where only distance counts; not countries, not call areas, nothing but
distance.

And while we're at it, lets lose the signal report too, what say?  :-)

73, Bill W7TI