[RTTY] interface cable for FSK?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] interface cable for FSK?
From: wa9als at starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Thu Jul 31 11:03:11 2003
I'm wired for "AFSK" [too] so that I can operate PSK and other modes, but
it's a hassle to worry about changing the soundcard mixer settings all the
time and worry about overdriving etc.  I would never mess with it for RTTY
when I can use FSK.  Then there's the whole thing to understand about dial
frequency vs true mark frequency etc.  FSK is just a lot simpler and is more
likely/often to lead to cleaner signals, although of course, a properly
adjusted AFSK RTTY signal should be indistinguishable from an FSK signal.

Interestingly, I've never been able to get PSK working correctly from the
car.  FSK RTTY is perfect.  However, I eveidently have some RFI in the
transmit audio - There is no setting, however low the power and audio drive,
that won't way overdrive the ALC.  I need to do some experimenting with some
iron, I guess, but there's no problem with the same cables and computer etc
in the house - only in the car.  Must be some of that nasty fuel pump or
other "car-stuff" messing it up.  Barely worth worrying about when I can do
FSK RTTY without a problem!  HI  73 - John, WA9ALS