Re: [RTTY] 1st USA

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 1st USA
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:48:27 -0500
Interesting discussion...

I can't tell you how many times I entered a category because I would not be
able to win in a different category.  It all started when K5DJ would clean my
clock in any RTTY contest he entered.  So before the contest I would find out
what category he was going to enter and I would enter a different one.  I
did a lot of Multi's with the Packetcluster back then.

It expanded to CQWW where I knew I had no chance to beat W2UP, so I
would enter a different category (thanks Barry for always being honest to me
before the contest hi).  Last year I went high power just because I knew Barry
was going low power.  It was a fluke that I won high power, but I would have
never won low power!

There are some things you just can't control, like antenna and geographic
limitations.
So it's best to change categories for the best chance to win.  Heck, I just
might
go Multi-Multi in CQWW by myself this year (Single-Multi?) just for a chance
to win USA except I know that the KA4RRU group is going to be very tough to
beat!
Even Multi-2 sounds good to me, depending on what HC8N does.  Unfortunately
I can't travel away from the home QTH during the peak of hurricane season to
operate
from a DX QTH or big USA contest station so I'm stuck at home, but that's not
been too bad either.  Check with your rivals and if you can't beat them, try
another
category.  It's all good...

73, Don AA5AU