[RTTY] Antenna Help

To: "Contesting RTTY" <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Antenna Help
From: "Dick White" <ks0m@ktis.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:05:29 -0500
 This is not directly related to RTTY. But, since I will be using this
antenna during RTTY contests, I am asking for help. I have been considering
a vertical antenna the past few months to go with my Mosley TA34XL and G5RV.
Five days before my friend KC0MV died of cancer, he asked me to visit him to
tell me how he wanted me to dispose of his radio station. Knowing I was
considering a vertical antenna, he told me to take his Hustler 4-BTV and use
it. Emery was a great person and was always doing for others. He gave all of
his equipment to new hams whom he considered deserving. One couple, both
hams who could not afford a HF station,  got a complete station after his
death.

Two questions:
1: the 6 radials/ counter poise are all broken and need to be replaced. Each
element is 13 inches long.  I have been unable to locate aluminum tubing to
replace them. But, in the plumbing supple store, I found chrome covered
copper rods of the right diameter.
     CAN I USE THE CHROME/COPPER RODS  OR SHOULD I FIND ALUM.

2: There were no instructions with the 4-BTV antenna.  I need to know how to
tune it. Does anyone have instructions thy could send me ?
     The top trap says  20M on it,  I am not sure what the other two are.  I
take it you would tune the bottom section fist and the work up the antenna.
I think the bottom section would tune 40m , then 20 m 15m and 10m  ??

Direct replies appreciated. I will post a summary if it would help others.

73....Dick

Richard C. "Dick" White         ks0m@ktis.net
Fulton,  MO. 65251

Amateur Radio Station - KS0M   (ex WB0WLX / KC0MY )
ARRL  Honor Roll / CW  -  5BDXCC / CW  #3295
Life Member American Radio Relay League