[RTTY] 7S3A - NA Sprint RTTY Contest

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] 7S3A - NA Sprint RTTY Contest
From: Jan-Eric Rehn - SM3CER - 7S3A <jan-eric.rehn@telia.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 02:54:48 +0000
NA Sprint RTTY Contest

Call: 7S3A
Operator(s): SM3CER
Station: SM3CER

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Sundsbruk
Operating Time (hrs): 2:30

   80:   0        0
   40:  20     0:56
   20:  27     1:34
---------------------
Total:  47     Mults = 15  Total Score = 705

Club: Top of Europe Contesters

Team:

Comments:

This was the first RTTY Sprint for me and it was really fun!

I started with 100 W, but since nobody could read my signals,
I had to turn on the PA and run 500 W. I copied at least 15 other
calls on 20 m and also 5-10 stations on 40 m, who couldn't read me.
I remember copying the following stations: AA5AU, AC6JT, AE5P,
KK5OQ, N6EE, VA3PC, W3WKR, W6YX, W7GTO and WK6I. I called them
several times with no luck.

The rules says that I should use my location (state, province or
country) as one of the parts in the exchange. So what should I use;
SWEDEN or SM? Since Writelog didn't allow for more than 4 letters
in the QTH field and then the Cabrillo log don't allow more than 3,
it was an easy choice - I used SM. Anyway, the rules should be more
precise what to use for stations outside USA/Canada, I think.
But - since there are no DX multipliers, maybe that part isn't
too important.

I also logged PJ2EL by mistake, but Writelog gave 1 point for that
QSO anyway. It should have been 0 points, as we both are outside NA.
He sent PJ2 and the name of the country as a part of his exchange.
(I think he sent "PJ2 Netherlands Antilles", but it could have been
something else. I didn't write it down. Anyway - it was long...).
Writelog didn't like the figure 2 in the QTH field so had to write
only PJ. No way I could type exactly what he sent into the log.
I added the figure 2 to the PJ in my Cabrillo log, even if I
shouldn't have worked him in the first place. I wonder what all
the NA ops have as his QTH?

I also heard several stations trying to get a name and a serial
number from D44AC, but he refused... I just had to switch call to
SM3CER in the middle of the Sprint to get him in my RTTY log, and
I got him after a few calls.

I think it's a fun part of this contest to be able to work the
stations again, if there are three other QSO:s in between. Without
that rule I should have lost 16 QSO:s and maybe I have pulled the
big switch earlier. Now I kept going all the 4 hours with some
breaks, although local time was 02 - 06 AM, and I really should
have been in bed... :-)

Can't wait for the next one...
73 de Jan, 7S3A (SM3CER)

\\\|///
\\ ~ ~ //
( @ @ )
Jan-Eric Rehn - SM3CER - Contest call: 7S3A
SSA Contest Manager - SWEDEN
E-mail: <mailto:sm3cer@contesting.com>sm3cer@contesting.com - ICQ: 11074897
SM3CER Contest Service: <http://www.sk3bg.se/contest/>http://www.sk3bg.se/contest/
SK3BG Web Site: <http://www.sk3bg.se/>http://www.sk3bg.se/
Also QRV in MS or MM from: SI9AM - SK3IK - SL3ZV
K6U at WRTC-96 / Referee at WRTC-2000 and WRTC-2002