[RTTY] K1US re 2003 JARTS

To: "rtty list" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] K1US re 2003 JARTS
From: "Jon Harder" <jon@praxisworks.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:21:05 -0000
An enjoyable and interesting contest even with fairly high A-index levels.
Thanks to all for QSOs with the usual TS-2000/AL-811 combo. Sorry that no
JA's were audible here in southern Maine. FWIW, had 320 Qs, 84,563 score.
Waiting to e-mail the log until (hopefully) WL gets updated for Cabrillo
output on this contest, or another solution is found.

A few comments to add:

-- several callers were way off freq, one nearly 500Hz low. I use split when
CQing in order to ue the main VFO to fine-tune callers, but some are really
just too far off the mark.

-- skill levels of participants seem much better than in last year's JARTS,
with most having read the rules and honed their exchange buffers for smooth
contacts. Almost no repeats needed.

-- lots more younger ops and YLs, also quite a few newcomers to RTTY
contesting

-- age span all the way from 20s to 80s, some of the youngest from east
Europe, great!

-- only a few instances of frequency stealing, and just one op who sent the
exchange out of turn - much better than last year

-- sad to say some deliberate QRM while running on the second day, tuneups,
endless diddles, and once a full minute of someone's ear-splitting "digital
mode at 1.5KW" pulse screech right on "my" 20 mtr run freq -- makes you
wonder .....

-- I again occasionally qualified for the WHD award (Worked Heat Detectors)
on the upper attic sensor, with not over 200 watts out on 14mHz. No problems
with it on 15 or 10. I'll try wrapping the sensor cable on a ferrite core.

-- uploaded the ADIF to LOTW and eQSL, thanks to those using electronic
QSLing, as replying to paper cards is getting to be costly and very time
consuming

Very 73 and 88 to all!

Jon, K1US