[RTTY] QTC's

To: "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] QTC's
From: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 06:36:40 -0500
If/when there is a contest that doesn't generate complaints, I would compare
it to "what if there was a contest and no one operated"?
This being only my third entry in WAE, and a casual one, I made a concerted
effort to receive all QTC requests! As I don't plan on submitting a  log,
the absolute correctness of copying QTC's was not an issue? OK, for you
"purists", yes it is an issue, but not for me! I do the same thing in many
other contest(s), especially the "long involved exchange" CW contest(s)! The
"other station" gets credit for sending, and if that added to their score
and fun, then I did my part!
Any variance from the normal "preprogrammed" exchange, adds to the interest
for me? I refused no one, but did have many refuse my request? It makes
absolutely no difference, to me, their reason for refusing.simply "TNX QRZ!
One concern was "the other station" asking me to send/receive QTC's in the
midst of a run? I find this discourteous, unless the "other station"
listens, then asks, after several CQ's go unanswered? Another concern, the
"other station" asking for "repeats" of the exchange, then requesting QTC's?
If the "relatively simple" exchange can't be copied, how can they expect to
copy QTC's? On Sunday, I reprogrammed my CQ buffer, following the usual CQ;
I added "will send/take QTC's"! I spent about 4 hours on Saturday, calling
CQ, low power, above ".100"! I was curious as to how many stations actually
tuned above ".100"? Several other contributing factors.band conditions,
specific time on the air, choice of band.made exchanging of QTC's
impossible.same continent stations.but my experiment told me one thing.."
from my location, it's virtually impossible to be competitive using low
power"!
I'm sure that contest sponsors consider "changing the rules", not solely,
based on participation? If/when participation begins to drop, for whatever
reason, it may be time to consider changes? Changes in rules that eliminate
currently used software, also eliminates the users of that particular
software? As this particular contest only happens once a year, I would
suggest that those that "hate QTC's", give it a 5 year trial period?
There are many reasons for entering contest(s), and when one of those
reasons is "not having any fun", possibly it's time to rethink why you
entered?

C'Ya, Shelby