[RTTY] Re:AA5AU Score & USB/serial ports

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Re:AA5AU Score & USB/serial ports
From: Wes Cosand <wz7i@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 08:10:21 -0500

I installed a Keyspan USB-to-Serial
adapter (on COM4) for radio control.  I tried to install my Belkin F5U103
USB-to-Serial adapter (it installed OK as COM5), but when I went to
activate it, I got the blue XP screen of death.  I tried several times
but it never worked.

So if the Belkin unit won't work with Windows XP and the other units won't pass Baudot code, how do we go forward?

I spent at least five hours yesterday struggling to get only a couple of the ports of a four port serial board working because of the shortage of IRQ's. I could easily use two or three additional ports.

With new computers with USB mice, keyboards and printers are the IRQ's that would otherwise be used for these in a range that is available to serial port boards? Do people really have success with shared IRQ's for serial ports?

Wes, WZ7I