Re: [RTTY] RTTY Capable Amp

To: RTTY <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Capable Amp
From: Marty Tippin <nw0l@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:04:20 -0800 (PST)
I ran an Ameritron AL-80B quite successfully on RTTY - 400 watts all day long
from a single 3-500Z. Sure it gets a little bit red, but it works just fine.
The folks at Ameritron told me to keep the grid current below 125mA (I think -
it's been a couple of years) and to have at it and there'd be no problem.

I used to be the net control on the 3905 Century Club RTTY net and spent a
*lot* of keydown time sending long, boring messages - never a hiccup from the
amp.

The bigger issue before you go after a huge amplifier is whether or not you
have antennas that can handle 500 or 1000 watts of RTTY for very long. Most
trapped tribanders cannot regardless of the manufacturer's "power rating"
claims, and certainly none of the multiband verticals will last long under that
kind of stress.

A Force 12 tribander works great at full power, as do wire antennas.

=====
-Marty NW0L
 martyt@pobox.com