RE: [RTTY] Multiple MMTTY Windows

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RTTY] Multiple MMTTY Windows
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:17:55 -0600
Hi Ed,

I have replied to the reflector because I thought it would be of interest to
others.

Great work on the MMTTY testing in the cloned Rttyrite windows.

I did want to add something.  I did not try the multiple MMTTY windows on my XP
machine this weekend, but I did pay closer attention to the times the DXP-38
out-copied MMTTY.

I found two instances where the DXP-38 consistently out-copied MMTTY.  When a
station answers my CQ and is mostly out of my 250 hz IF passband filter in the
radio, the DXP-38 still copies but MMTTY doesn't copy at all.  I don't know why
this is, but there were times when the signals was so far out that I could
barely hear any tones at all, but the DXP-38 still copied.  If I have my 500 hz
on instead of 250 hz, then MMTTY doesn't have a problem, but I rarely use 500 hz
in contesting.

The other times when the DXP-38 is better is when in the S&P mode and tuning
upon a signal.  While moving the VFO to center the signal, the DXP-38 starts
copying way earlier than MMTTY.  It seems MMTTY must "lock" onto the signal
first and can't do it if I'm tuning the VFO fairly fast.  Since I tune very fast
trying to get to the next signal as quickly as I can as I'm moving up or down
the band, the DXP-38 really outshines MMTTY.  This is a great timesaver as well.
If the station I'm tuning onto is sending his callsign as I'm tuning onto him, I
get his call in the DXP-38 window and don't have to wait for the station to
transmit again to get the call.

73, Don AA5AU