RE: [RTTY] RTTY Growth

To: "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RTTY] RTTY Growth
From: "J. Edward (Ed) Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:25:53 -0800
> I don't know about other folks that don't submit, but since the ARRL
> stopped publishing contest results, I lost my incentive to take the time
> to submit my log.  At my current QTH, I'll never get into the Top Ten
> which now means I'll never get my station's call in _QST_.

This is a frequent comment about the ARRL's change of moving contest results
from QST to the web.  I certainly understand the de-motivation to submit a
log if your results aren't going to be published.  However, our contest
results are still published ... on the web instead of on paper.

Even though I am a life member of ARRL and have received QST since the
1950's, I much prefer to review contest results on the web.  In fact, I
frequently review the Claimed Scores table of contests that are on the ARRL
web site about a month after the contest ... typically a year sooner than
results are published.  I believe that we will see the final results
published on the web site sooner than they have been in QST and that this
should improve with time.  A leading example of this is the NA Sprints which
now have a log deadline of 7 days after the contest with final results on
the NCJ web site 2 weeks after the contest.

So, in summary, all our results are still published ... that didn't go away.
In fact, the publishing has improved with more timely reporting and the
ability to access the results electronically for any analysis one would like
to do.  I think this is a great improvement, not a negative step backwards.

Don't  mean to be argumentative, but to offer a different perspective by one
who sees this as a positive change.

73,
Ed - W0YK