Re: [RTTY] Re: Noise with MMTTY

To: RTTY Reflector <RTTY@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Re: Noise with MMTTY
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:33:20 -0800

On Mar 23, 2004, at 9:07 AM, Bill Turner wrote:

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:29:59 -0600, Charles Morrison wrote:

I can't speak to this issue directly. However, on the human factors side
people doing signal detection research stumbled across something that is
counter intuitive. Is it easier to copy a weak CW signal on a quiet or
noisy band?
Many people will say it is easiest to copy CW on a quiet band. However,
under controlled testing people did a better job of copying a weak CW signal
in noise than when there was no noise. A demonstration of this on NPR
nearly blew me away. The played 10 seconds of what to the human ear sounded
like silence but actually contained a very low level CW signal. When noise
was added in the CW signal was very obvious. Of course too much noise mask
the signal entirely.
I doubt electronic circuits/software work the same as the human brain. But,
the next time you operate the original digital mode don't cuss any noise for
it might be help your brain detect a signal that it otherwise might not
process.

I've noticed a similar effect on CW myself.  Often I can copy CW better
with a wide filter instead of a narrow one, even though the apparent
noise is more.  Strange.

This might have something to do with what was was called "noise linearization." The signal, which is too low in amplitude to detect is detectable as a modulation of the noise.

Different forms of noise linearizations exist in the signal detection world. The van Vleck method allows you to hard clip a signal when it is immersed in noise that is much larger than the signal and yet be able to derive the spectrum of the original signal back with just a 1.92 dB loss in signal to noise ratio (in Probability theory books, this method is known as the "arcsine theorem." The method was invented in WWII for used with radars when it was cheaper to deal with the autocorrelation of hard clipped on-off signals than the autocorrelation of analog signals. I have used this technique before to design practically lossless 4-bit A/D converters that have extremely large dynamic range back in the days when fast (20 MHz) 24-bit converters were not feasible. Even with two bits, a properly designed converter would have less than 0.5 dB of loss in SNR. By 4 bits, it became vanishingly small.

Another application is in the "dithering" of signals before being A/D converted, in this case the noise is much smaller than the average signal. A noise whose rms value is about 1/2 to 1 least significant bit is injected before the signal enters the A/D converter. Without the dithering noise, the signal's spectrum is completely screwed up, but with the noise, even if the noise floor is higher, the spectrum remains the original (with a slightly raised noise floor). Modern CD recordings are dithered. Some of the early CD recordings were not and they sound very strident.

In short, yes, adding noise is used profitably in the signal detection world. But remember that you need to add noise that is not correlated with anything (i.e., random). I have always welcomed a little hiss in the background of RTTY signals :-).

- kc