Re: [RTTY] Sound Cards

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Sound Cards
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:41:35 +0100
Kok Chen wrote:

If the weakest detectable audio signal from the rig (post AGC) is at least 5% of the max audio from the rig (i.e., 26 dB range or a loss of 4 bits full scale for the weak signal), I don't think you can ever see better copy with a better ("more expensive") converter.

But if the range of audio signals from the receiver is greater than 40 or 50 dB, you probably will see an improvement with more bits in the converter if your operating system knows how to move more than 16 bits of sampled data. Again, just MHO.

By coincidence I have been trying to answer the same general question for my monthly column, and have been discussing it with Peter Martinez, G3PLX (Mr PSK31). Peter's view is that just about any modern sound card is good enough for amateur radio data applications. You certainly can measure objective differences between sound cards in the lab, but in radio applications these will be masked by much bigger variations in transceiver performance and the user setup of I/O levels.

To some extent, this is an obsolete question. Early PC sound cards were only just good enough, and some of them weren't, so differences between models could be important. But today, even the most basic sub-$20 PCI soundcard will have a chipset that outclasses anything you could buy ten years ago.

Recommended reading is K1UHF's article in QST, October 2003, about using sound cards:
http://www.westmountainradio.com/pdf/Ins&Outs.pdf

K1UHF's article has a further link to:
www.barberdsp.com/tech/cs100.pdf
This article is about a specific audio software product, but the section titled 'Is my sound card good enough?' has some interesting information.

Both authors make the point that it's much better to use the Line Input jack rather than the Mic input. Not all of the cheap PCI cards or onboard sound systems have a separate Line Input jack, so this is a feature to check when choosing a cheap card (although you can still use the Mic input instead, with the 20dB boost switched OFF).

BTW, I bought two of those Turtle Beach Santa Cruz cards from Ebay, that were being discussed here a couple of months ago. I was well satisfied with the deal, because you can't buy them at anything like that price in Britain (100% satisfaction about the vendor also). But they certainly won't be going into the radio PC!