Re: [RTTY] RTTY power levels

To: "RTTY" <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY power levels
From: "Gordon LaPoint" <gordon@neurophysics.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 07:52:30 -0400

I am running an FT1000MP Mk5 at 40w output during rtty contests and the fan
runs almost constantly and it gets hot. My understanding of the MP manual is
that I can run it at 100w out for long periods but I am not too keen to do
his! The second radio, IC7400 runs much cooler at 40w.
I see from lots of posts that operators are running 100w output from
standard rigs with great success and no damage, some guidance on this would
be appreciated!
Thanks
Jim MM0BQI

Jim,
I use an IC-756 PRO2 and run a full 100 watts. I have done many rtty contests at full power, including lots of CQ'ing, with no problems. I used to use a Yaesu FT-757gx, which I also ran at a full 100 watts for RTTY contesting, again with no problems with many years of use. I don't use any extra cooling fans.

Gordon N1MGO

n1mgo@arrl.net