RE: external DSP audio filters (was Re: [RTTY] AA5AU ContestNotes for CQ

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: external DSP audio filters (was Re: [RTTY] AA5AU ContestNotes for CQWW RTTY now on-line)
From: Jerry Pixton <jpixton@shentel.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 12:00:11 +0000
Jeff, et al

Since the JPS NIR-12 filters were not available, last spring I opted for the MFJ 784B Audio DSP filters which I put in series from my radios, FT1000mp and IC756proII, to the sound cards. In spite of good filtering in both radios, the audio filters make a BIG difference. I have the audio filters set up with a 500 hz and a 250 hz position as well as a twin peaked position. With the hundreds of stations on 20 meters last week end I could search in the 250 hz position and generally seperate almost all stations. The occassional stations that were sitting almost on top of each other, I just put on the bandmap and moved on unless they were a multi. If they were 50 hz or so apart then the twin peak filter was useful. I would say that the audio filters made a big improvement in my station.

Jerry, W6IHG