Re: external DSP audio filters (was Re: [RTTY] AA5AU ContestNotes forCQW

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: external DSP audio filters (was Re: [RTTY] AA5AU ContestNotes forCQWW RTTY now on-line)
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 13:54:44 +0100
Jerry Pixton wrote:

Since the JPS NIR-12 filters were not available, last spring I opted for the MFJ 784B Audio DSP filters which I put in series from my radios, FT1000mp and IC756proII, to the sound cards. In spite of good filtering in both radios, the audio filters make a BIG difference. I have the audio filters set up with a 500 hz and a 250 hz position as well as a twin peaked position. With the hundreds of stations on 20 meters last week end I could search in the 250 hz position and generally seperate almost all stations. The occassional stations that were sitting almost on top of each other, I just put on the bandmap and moved on unless they were a multi. If they were 50 hz or so apart then the twin peak filter was useful. I would say that the audio filters made a big improvement in my station.

Do the outboard DSP filters do anything that the radios' built-in DSP filters and de-noisers cannot?

As far as I'm aware, the twin peak filter is the only feature mentioned that the MP doesn't have at all (don't know about the Pro-II) but both bandpass and twin-peak filtering are also available in MMTTY.

Or do the outboard DSP boxes really perform so much better than the DSP options in the radios and in MMTTY?