Re: [RTTY] Who's Name

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Who's Name
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 12:44:41 -0700
On Oct 2, 2004, at 11:51 AM, roofus wrote:

Well it's been 24 hours since my last dumb question so here we go. In a
contest where you give your name like the SPRINT does it have to be the name
on your ticket? Dennis is a bit long and Denny isn't much shorter, my nick
name is Skip, can I use that?

In some of the contests where name is the exchange, using weird names add to the enjoyment. Roofus is good!

Half of the fun is to see if you can knock the operator at the other end off of his chair (or the wide-necked bottles that W1ZT uses).

I suggested one time for W6YX to use "Leland," and the op actually used it during the next contest. I suspect only a few knew what the joke was, though -- you need to know the full name of the university. Perhaps 4 RTTY ops did :-).

I remember one year, during a CW sprint everyone and his brother used "Monica" (guess which year). 4 years ago, I heard a lot of "Dubya." I suspect that we might have hurricane names from W4s this year!

Some of your Sprint logs might even have "Cheney" sent from a W7AY.

73
Chen, W7AY