Re: [RTTY] DESREVER

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] DESREVER
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 01:24:07 -0700
On Oct 15, 2004, at 5:12 PM, James wrote:
    Reversed Signal.  I am confused.  My RTTY Elmer some 34 years ago
Said that the "standard" was LSB on all bands.

The only Amateur standard I know of is the one that states that the Mark tone of the frequency shift keyed signal needs to be the higher one on the RF spectrum. And that the shift is kept at 170 Hz. LSB has nothing directly to do with the standard.

It just happens that if you pick a 2125 cps audio Mark tone and 2295 cps audio Space tone, that you would need to use lower sideband SSB to achieve the aforementioned standard.

You could just as well use 2295 Mark and 2125 Space and pick upper sideband SSB. This is where the ability to transmit in reverse gives you the additional flexibility. There is at least one rig I know where you have to use upper sideband on AFSK to use the narrow IF filters.

Alternatively, you can pick 1000 Hz Mark and 1170 Hz Space and LSB. The receiver at the other end won't be able to tell the difference between this and the two cases above.

73
Chen, W7AY