Re: [RTTY] ae4jy HF path simulator

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ae4jy HF path simulator
From: f6irf@free.fr
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 21:58:11 +0100
From:  "Terry Gerdes" <terry@ab5k.net>
>One issue that I have is working stations who are within 50 to 200 miles of
>me.  I can usually get a couple of letters of the call but not enough to
>make it a legal QSO.  Since we are close, I suspect we are operating on a
>backscatter path.   Any ideas on what would be the best MMTTY mode for this?

Hi Terry
>From my experience,  Mako's "multipath" preset is giving good results... I am
not saying that it is miraculous, but that it provides some improvement over
the standard settings...
According to Mako's explanations, this preset uses the ATC as echo-canceller. I
am using it both on 80m signals with multipath sometimes making decoding
difficult , even with quite strong signals; but also on high-band backscatter
signals if the signal is strong enough - but on this last case the real
solution often consists in turning the antenna in a direction where the station
can be received with less echo...
On 10m the delay can be sometimes so important that even CW is difficult to
decode; in such a cases don't think much can be done at the decoder level...
Pat