[RTTY] PSN Modulation & PSK31 with Icom

To: "'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] PSN Modulation & PSK31 with Icom
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:07:23 -0600
OK, this is not a RTTY question but it pertains to getting VU4 on digital!

I've just wired my IC-775DSP for PSK.  When I first transmitted PSK31, I found
the power output slowing going up and down from about 50-70 watts.  I knew my
cable and setup were correct so I started thinking there may be some transmit
settings in the radio that need to be checked.

Sure enough, the IC-775 has an option for PSN modulation on or off in the SSB
mode.  Off is analog and On turns on PSN modulation.  I'm not sure what PSN is
because I can't find anything in the owner's manual that says what it is and a
Google search returned all Icom-related stuff without a definition.

I turned PSN modulation off (analog) and keyed the radio - lo and behold the
power output was steady at 50 watts.  Not only that, I was able to get 150 watts
out of the radio before the ALC meter started to kick up whereas I couldn't only
get 70 watts before turning PSN off.

Can someone tell me what this PSN modulation is and what advantage it is for SSB
(not PSK31 obviously).  My guess is it should be turned off for PSK31.

I'll be practicing my PSK skills in the coming days in preparation for the
upcoming VU4 Dxpedition.  I've been told that one of the operators is
experienced on PSK and I want to be sure I'm ready.  With the Dxpedition likely
to have a weak signal, PSK might be an easier way to get them in the log.

VU4 is one of two I need Mixed to have them all (7O is the other - too bad the
DL trip didn't count).

Thanks,
Don AA5AU