Re: [RTTY] PSN Modulation & PSK31 with Icom

To: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] PSN Modulation & PSK31 with Icom
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:07:55 -0800
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:07:23 -0600, Don Hill AA5AU wrote:

>I've just wired my IC-775DSP for PSK.  When I first transmitted PSK31, I found
>the power output slowing going up and down from about 50-70 watts.  I knew my
>cable and setup were correct so I started thinking there may be some transmit
>settings in the radio that need to be checked.

Perfectly normal.  If it DOESN'T go up and down, you have a problem.
PSK31 requires that your TX and amp be perfectly linear so the power
can go up and down.  Any clipping, ALC or other compression will cause
splatter, unlike RTTY which is immune to such issues.

Do a google search for PSK31 tutorials for more info.

--
Bill W6WRT