Re: [RTTY] Green Keys vs. PSK31 - One man's opinion

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Green Keys vs. PSK31 - One man's opinion
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 07:57:05 +0000
Larry L Lindblom wrote:
As for me I seldom rag chew on RTTY because of my very poor typing. Ever since a stroke 8 years back the fingers on my left hand do not seem always to hit the same keys my brain is telling them to press. So for me it is mostly F1, F2, etc in the contests. Even then I sometimes embarrass my self by punching the wrong F key:-(

Donworryboudit. I'm a professional technical writer, but I'm a lousy t6pist too.

The difference between PSK and RTTY operating seems to be a 'cultural' thing. Lots of PSK operators are not into DXing and contesting, but into slow-paced ragchewing involving very long exchanges of buffers. A significant number have a strong and active dislike of what they call 'rubber-stamp' contacts... which are what most RTTYers would praise as 'slick operating'.

In a mixed-digital-mode contest, you can be pretty certain that any RTTY signals you hear are in the contest, and your QSOs will be quick and slick. But it can be a serious mistake to answer a CQ on PSK, because the guy is more than likely to be looking for a long ragchew. He may indeed be 'clueless' about the fact that there's a contest going on; or he may even be actively against making a snappy QSO.

Whatever you do then, you're in trouble. Either you're trapped for 15 minutes, or else you're going to confirm his probable belief that contesters are brusque and rude.

It's a sad situation. One thing that would really help in the crossover is if PSK software like Digipan were available as a plug-in for dedicated contesting software, in the same way that MMTTY is for RTTY.