Re: [RTTY] HAL ST-8000 and 6000 vs. Sound Cards

To: "w4gkm@juno.com" <w4gkm@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] HAL ST-8000 and 6000 vs. Sound Cards
From: Neal Campbell and Sarah Ferrell <k3nc@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:12:44 -0500
I ran MMTTY, RITTY and a ST-8000 simultaneously a couple of years ago in the CQ WW RTTY test. I did not find a clear winner. I think because of its ubiquitous installation, MMTTY is the best choice for almost everyone. Works on all windows sound cards, XP,98se,95, etc. I think it was slightly more accurate most of the time. RITTY also is a top performer but the configuration issues (no NT-based OSs, ISA sound cards, etc.) make it more difficult, that plus it costs money. The ST-8000 actually copied better than I had guessed prior to the test.

As I believe in Don's recommendation to have a couple of different modem types for diversity, I would tend to take a soundcard-based modem (MMTTY or RITTY) and a hardware based one (I have ST-8000, AEA PK-900, etc.) Its a tweak, not a requirement for entry into the big leagues though.

My view, load up MMTTY, play in a few tests, if you feel you are really missing something, borrow something else and run them in parallel.

Neal