Re: [RTTY] HAL ST-8000 and 6000 vs. Sound Cards

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] HAL ST-8000 and 6000 vs. Sound Cards
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:56:12 -0800

On Jan 29, 2005, at 9:12 AM, Neal Campbell and Sarah Ferrell wrote:

As I believe in Don's recommendation to have a couple of different modem types for diversity, I would tend to take a soundcard-based modem (MMTTY or RITTY) and a hardware based one (I have ST-8000, AEA PK-900, etc.)

Why not just build in the "algorithmic diversity" into one single multiple-demodulator software modem? That is what cocoaModem does.

Speaking of diversity (in the radio engineering sense) -- it is not difficult to expand the soft-decision multiple-demodulator based modem idea into a space or polarization diversity RTTY system. Feed one receiver/antenna into some of the demodulators and a second receiver/antenna into another bunch of demodulators and some algorithm to steer the decision (e.g., the receiver bank which has more of its demodulators agree with one another wins out). It should work better than summing the audio signals from the two receivers into one single demodulator (think of it as working with the conditional probability of two uncorrelated vectors versus working with the average of the same two vectors) . I have this as something in my stack of "things to try out one day when I have time."

However, I have to interject a really odd comment -- wold you believe that a better demodulator can lead to a more frustrating operating experience?

The reason is that there are now more people that you can print that cannot print your signal!

What is more important is that every rare DX or rare contest mult gets a good modem :-).

73
Chen, W7AY