Re: [RTTY] RttyCompare test files

To: "Alex, VE3NEA" <alshovk@dxatlas.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RttyCompare test files
From: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:36:37 +0000
Thanks, Alex. Lots of guys will want to get a copy of your files now for future use. The suite of tools you have pulled together for your tests, especially the RTTYCompare program, should be in every RTTY'ers shack.

Jerry W4UK

At 14:49 2/1/2005, you wrote:
Hi Jerry,

> Hello Alex > > Can you distribute the simulated audio files?

I temporarily uploaded all audio files to my web site, the url's are

http://www.dxatlas.com/rtty/Flutter.zip
http://www.dxatlas.com/rtty/Awgn.zip
http://www.dxatlas.com/rtty/Echo.zip
http://www.dxatlas.com/rtty/Flat.zip
http://www.dxatlas.com/rtty/Selective.zip

These files are huge, and I cannot keep them permanently on the site.

> I couldn't get Virtual Audio Cable 2.04 installed under XP Pro, so
> downloaded the current V3.something, which appears to work, but I have no
> confidence in it because I can hear a buzzing in the RTTY audio files when
> I route them through it. No buzzing otherwise.

AVC 3 intentionally adds some noise to the audio, this is a shareware
limitation. V.2 does not do this. Besides, V.3 did not work on my Win2000
system, and I had no choice but switching to v.2.

> Since I have two sound cards in the computer my next step will be to try
> avoid using VAC (and the buzzing) by just patching externally from one
card
> to the other with a hardware cable.

I tried a loopback cable between the line output and line input of my
on-board sound card, and this worked, though I noticed that the noise level
slightly increased.

> In the process of learning how to use the various pieces, it occurred to me > that if you just packaged and distributed the final path-simulated audio > files, it would cut out much of the work and uncertainty for the test > preparation process.

I would like someone to repeat the whole procedure from scratch rather than
use the audio files that I used. If I made a mistake somewhere, such
independent test would reveal it. Besides, I discovered that 3-minute
simulations are too short and do not produce reliable results at low error
rates. E.g., if the program makes 3 mistakes in 904 chars, the actual error
rate is not necessarily 0.3%, it is somewhere between 0.1% and 0.5%.

73 Alex VE3NEA