[RTTY] K6IDX RTTY Roundup M/S HP

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] K6IDX RTTY Roundup M/S HP
From: Dean Wood <n6de@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:38:29 -0800
ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: K6IDX
Operator(s): N6DE K6ENT
Station: K6IDX

Class: M/S HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
   80:  128
   40:  228
   20:  458
   15:  393
   10:  110
------------
Total: 1317  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 61  Total Score = 155,406

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I took a few pictures of the K6IDX station during the RTTY Roundup. You can view them at http://public.fotki.com/n6de/k6idx/

Thanks to Brad K6IDX for inviting us to operate from his great station.

The weather forecast did not look particularly good on Thursday night before the contest. Kent and I purchased chains for my Explorer early Friday morning in the unlikely event that we would need them to get to K6IDX or get home. We departed the Bay Area Friday morning in an attempt to beat the bulk of the storm. We went through HEAVY winds at times, and a lot of rain, but arrived at K6IDX without any problems. The weather all weekend was milder than I expected. It was mostly rainy with light snow. We never even remotely needed the chains. I'm glad we weren't trying to drive to Reno that weekend, where they got hammered with several feet of snow.

We got RTTY up and running fairly quickly, and were active for the NCCC RTTY practice on Friday night. After Kent installed a driver on Brad's Windows XP machine to support his serial port expansion card, we got rig control and the Hal DXP38 working simultanously. Then the fun began. We spent until 2am trying to network a WindowsXP machine to a WindowsMe machine. First, the challenge was getting both machines to see each other. That took a while, but we solved it. Special thanks to John KJ9U at W6YX who met us on 80m, gave us very helpful things to try, and led us to the solution. Then the problem was getting Writelog networked on both machines. We could never get Writelog networked and eventually gave up. I read the networking FAQ on writelog.com, Writelog tips on k9jy.com, and searched the Writelog reflector for help. I thought we implemented every tip we could find, but we were unsuccessful. Maybe our lack of success hinged on the fact that it was 2am and our brains were fried. Kent and I are both engineers in the high tech industry, and I work in the networking field (albeit with large enterprise level switches running our own OS, whereby I am able to completely avoid Microsoft Windows networking nonsense, thank you). But still, if we struggled at this chore, it makes me wonder how frustrating it must be for other folks.

We had two stations set up:
Run station with IC7800, DXP38, and MMTTY
Spotting station with IC781 and MMTTY

The spotting station was of diminished value without the ability to see the log, but we still found a few mults with the second radio, so it was useful. Once or twice, I would input several stations in the band map, and whenever Kent got a break on the CQing station, I would verbally give him a callsign to type in. We'd then determine whether that call was a dupe or not by looking at the Check Call window for the band in question. Repeat for next callsign. But mostly, we ran a casual M/S with two guys trading seats at the run radio every few hours. Very funny moment: I had spotted several stations on 15m in the bandmap, and was watching Kent's CQ screen for a break in the run when AB5K returned our 20m CQ. I then realized I had spotted AB5K a few minutes earlier on 15m in my band map. Clearly, AB5K was SO2R, CQing on 15m, and was working us with his second radio. I decided it would be great fun to surprise the hell out of AB5K and pounce on him immediately after he pounced on us, so we did! I hope AB5K got as many laughs out of that as we did!

I was concerned that band conditions would be poor for the contest since the A index was 40 when the contest started. Yet, 15m was very strong for us, and 10m was open to many different call areas for at least a couple of hours each day. Power to the shack went out in the first hour of the contest. It's a great thing that Brad has a fully automatic generator that kicks in within 7 seconds of a power failure, and the computers all have a backup UPS. Very nice!

I hoped for at least some Europeans on 20m Sunday morning despite the high A index. Usually the routine from W6 in this contest at this part of the sunspot cycle is to tune 20m Sunday morning, listen for fluttery signals Sunday morning, work as many European CQers as possible for the mults, and then try to call CQ to Europe with the hope that a few more mults will call before this short (~2 hour) opening ends. The European opening that the K6IDX station produced that morning was something I have never experienced before from W6. Our first European was at 1458Z. OL5Q was unbelievably loud at 1523Z. A loud SV was next a minute later. None of these signals were even remotely fluttery! I could not believe what I was hearing, and rapidly found a CQ frequency. Then the European pileup began, with all stations sounding as if they were in W9! There were so many Europeans calling that it was difficult to run stations quickly. What an experience from CA! Kent also ran Europe for a while. We ended up with 124 European QSOs in the log, compared with 144 JA QSOs. I was very pleased with our DX mult total. Rack it all up to Brad's station.

The only US mults we hadn't contacted on Saturday were MT and DC. We made 4 MT QSOs on Sunday, but missed DC. Our only Manitoba QSO was with VE4GH/QRP who called us in the last 30 minutes of the contest.

The IC7800 is a joy to use! Brad had a dedicated monitor connected to the IC7800, so we used it as a third RTTY decoder. It was very interesting to watch the RTTY decoding differences between the DXP38, MMTTY, and the IC7800. They all performed well. Sometimes the IC7800 would copy something that both the DXP38 and MMTTY did not. Then other times, MMTTY and the DXP38 would copy something that the IC7800 missed. In general, they were about equal. I was surprised that the IC7800 RTTY decoder performed as well as it did.

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs.

73...
-Dean - N6DE