Re: [RTTY] The MMMM's !!

To: RTTY@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] The MMMM's !!
From: w2nra@optonline.net
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:17:33 -0500
Hi Tom and the Group,

I think Jeff WK6I had a good compromise, when conditions are crowded, by using
one space between de and callsign and 2 or more spaces between 1st and 2nd
callsign.  For example:

DE W2NRA   W2NRA

As I said before in the crowded conditions I could print stations better that
spaced there calls wider than one space!

I know some don't like multiple callsigns in an S&P call, but face it, in the
real world most send their call at least twice.  In my case, with a modest
signal (my priorites are elsewhere at the moment) which would be better:

1.  Send my call once and be asked for repeats 100% of the time.
2.  Send my call twice and be asked only for occasional repeats.

There is always a lot of criticism about how stations call.  I think they need
to remember that not everyone in the contest is a big gun!  And every station
that spends any time at all in a contest will evolve his technique so that it
will work to his benefit to maximize his QSO rate for his station and his
skill.  For example I've have learned that with my modest signal one call only
gets me repeat requests.  I've also learned that sometimes stations get my call
wrong so I repeat my call at the end of my report.  To some I know that is a
big no no.  However, this works to my benefit andthe other station as well
because we are both working to speed things up and still be accurate.  Of
course if  I know my call is blown I'll repeat it without sending a report.  So
what should a modest station do?

1. Operate only the way the big guns demand
2. Operate the way experience shows works to the advantage of both
3. Take my modest signal and not play (please don't pick this one, I have too
much fun contesting!)

73 es see you in the next contest and either ignore me or listen a little
harder for me,

Art
W2NRA