Re: [RTTY] RTTY Call Sign Pirate

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Call Sign Pirate
From: Phil Florig <W9IXX@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:14:45 -0400
Hi all,

Just a side comment here that may help.  I am not one of the contest guru's,
however I have noticed the following in some of the contests and random qso's
that I have copied. This may have been discussed but did not find in a quick
search.

If using a macro and don't put a space at the end of a call, then when the
rig goes to receive you may get random characters at the end of the macro.
"CQ de VP5/N1DLYEBYFG"  (S/B "VP5/N1DL")

I try to put a space or CR at the end of a macro to eliminate that.  I have
heard that the "Big contesters" like to reduce extra spaces and etc, however
I believe that quality and correctness of copy would be more important.
"CQ de VP5/N1DL YEBYFG"

If there is another way or comment to help this, I would be most eager to hear
about it.  There are three of us going to CY0AA at the end of July and I will
be doing the RTTY (SSTV possible) for the most part and would like to get
the most
accurate and time saving calls in the log. Your help/hints would be
appreciated.

I have learned from the DXpeditions that I have heard and been on, that one of
the best hints is to put the call of the station you are working at both the
beginning and END of the report like:
W9IXX 599 W9IXX K(space, "CR" or "K" here)  (Think came from Don, AA5AU, Tnx)
This is good if working a pile up and don't catch the first call right.

Web site is:
http://www.wb8xx.com/sable/

Tnx for the reflector and glad to be part of it.

73   Phil W9IXX

At 12:29 4/6/2005, you wrote:
>Tony,
>
>I worked VP5/N1DLY on 14MHz RTTY at 1915z on 28-Feb-05 and may have
>wrongfully assumed the operator was N1DL who I worked as V25DL and FJ/N1DL
>on 26-Feb.  I really did not understand the why the Y was added to the call
>sign at the time.
>
>I sent N1DL a QSL and SASE for the V25DL and FJ/N1DX QSO's but did not
>bother requesting the VP5/N1DLY QSO. It will be interesting to see if
>VP5/N1DLY shows up on the card.
>
>I am not really sure but recall (from useless memory) the VP5/N1DLY station
>was signing with QSL N1DL.
>
>Are people sending you QSL's?
>
>Dick, AA5VU
>

>On 4/6/05 11:00 AM, "rtty-request@contesting.com"
><rtty-request@contesting.com> wrote:
>
> > Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 8:58 PM
> > To: rtty@contesting.com
> > Subject: [RTTY] Call Sign Pirate
> >

> > Hello Guys..
> >
> > Someone has pirated my call in the last RTTY contest as VP5/N1LDY i was
> never
> > in
> > VP5 and this time around i was not in the RTTY contest...
> >
> > anyone spot this?
> >
> > Tony
> > N1LDY

Philip Florig           e-mail:pflorig@ieee.org
115 Horne Rd.               (or):W9IXX@arrl.net
Columbus, NC. 28722         amateur radio:W9IXX
USA                         MARS:AAM4ENC/AAR4XX
     team member:AH1A-C6DX-CY0AA-J3A-KH8SI-VP2MX
        also:C6AXX-J3X-KH8/-T30,31,32,33P-VP2MPF
IPR Systems, Inc.           tel: 1-708-385-7500
11651 Mayfield Ave.         fax: 1-708-385-7515
Alsip, IL. 60803          email:info@iprsys.com
USA                              web:iprsys.com
    INDUSTRIAL POWER SUPPLIES & RECTIFIERS