Re: [RTTY] LOTW QSL rate

To: Byron Lichtenwalner <w3wkr@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] LOTW QSL rate
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 17:00:55 -0400
On May 19, 2005, at 3:10 PM, Byron Lichtenwalner wrote:

> Friends
> After submitting almost 5500 QSO records to LOTW you have responded
> with a better than 30% matching record rate.  Goes up higher with
> each new contest.

I've found the response rate is greatly dependent on two things: the
age of the QSOs and the location. I've placed ALL of my logged QSOs
into LoTW, going back to 1976. My first confirmation is in 1984 and
the earliest 10 end in 1986. I'm sure many guys have got old logs on
paper that they haven't bothered to computerise, and they may never
do that. (Some of these guys may be SKs, come to think of it)

For domestic QSOs, response rates are pretty good. DX is much more
spotty. Remember that non-ARRL countries (eg everything but the US
and Canada) have to go through a much more rigorous process to obtain
their initial LoTW certificate -- so there are a lot of hams who just
haven't bothered.

I had a e-mail discussion with an Italian ham who couldn't figure out
why LoTW is important. Turns out, his national society gives him
free, unlimited QSL bureau service. Given that and the steps needed
to get a LoTW certificate, I can understand his preference for paper
QSLs.

I applaud any non-US or Canada station who has taken the time to get
a certificate and upload their logs. Thanks!

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901