Re: [RTTY] Logging NAQP DX stations

Subject: Re: [RTTY] Logging NAQP DX stations
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:10:15 -0500
I think this one needs some discussion because even I am also confused by the
rules (OK, getting older and not hard to confuse me).

When I work an non-NA DX station I leave the QTH field blank which I believe is
appropriate.  This one is easy.

The problem for me occurs when working non-USA/VE stations in NA.  The rules are
as Shelby says, Name + Country.  What is acceptable with this?  I don't know.
Let's take an example of a Mexican station sending MEXICO or XE.  WriteLog
doesn't accept MEXICO as a QTH.  It will take MEXI and it will also take XE.  So
if a station sends MEXICO and we input MEXI, is that good enough?

This is what I have done in the past and whether or not it is acceptable, I
don't care because to me the rule on this is ambiguous.  Regardless of what a
non-USA/VE NA station sends, I input the prefix for that country in the QTH
field.  If I work Dean 8P2K I will input 8P as the QTH regardless of what he
sends as his QTH.

Maybe some of you that operate the CW and SSB portions of this contest can clear
the air on this but to me it's plain stupid.  The rules for inputting Non-USA/VE
stations should be the same as non-NA stations and send only the name.  We
already know what the QTH is!

.02 worth...

73, Don AA5AU