Re: [RTTY] RTTY WAS

To: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@arrl.net>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY WAS
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 07:58:13 -0700
At 06:44 AM 7/31/2005, Shelby Summerville wrote:
>Now that the designation "digital", instead of RTTY has been placed on the
>WAS  certificate, I've lost interest in applying for it.

That is especially ironic since RTTY is not a true 'digital' mode. The bits
in a Baudot character do not stand for ones and zeros, and the stop bit is
identified by being longer than the others - a no-no in the digital world.
RTTY is commonly processed by a digital computer, but the Baudot character
set itself is purely analog. Ask any user of a mechanical printer.

However, the use of 'digital' to describe RTTY is so common I realize I'm
swimming against the tide and hereby surrender. :-)

Bill, W6WRT