Re: [RTTY] RTTY WAS

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY WAS
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:49:40 -0700
On Aug 1, 2005, at 7:58 AM, Bill Turner wrote:
> RTTY is commonly processed by a digital computer, but the Baudot
> character
> set itself is purely analog.

At some level, all digital modes used over the airwaves are analog,
unless you send baseband Walsh functions or Manchester codes over the
air -- and if you do that, each bit of information will be spread in
the Fourier spectrum (what hams usually call "spectrum") between DC
and "daylight." :-)

At the demodulator level, RTTY is analog.  But after the slicer, RTTY
is discrete.

If I send cards for Hellscriber QSOs in for DXCC, I am almost sure
the ARRL would issue a "digital" certificate.  But there is
absolutely nothing digital in that mode.

What the ARRL calls "digital" is probably better described as
"keyboard" or "character" based modes.

73
Chen, W7AY