[RTTY] AR-Cluster Macros Tip (Sep 2005 QST page 69)

To: rtty-contesting <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] AR-Cluster Macros Tip (Sep 2005 QST page 69)
From: "Dick Kriss, AA5VU" <aa5vu@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:44:11 -0500
The following copy of my response to Jay is shared with rtty-contesting to
point out an error in the Table 1 and to provide a cheat sheet at the end if
you want to test the macros without having to type the long statements.

73 de Dick, AA5VU

> Hi Dick,
>
> Thanks for your "Hints and Kinks" article in the current QST.   Well done.  I
> was unaware of the macro function and am starting to put it to good use.
>
> 73  Jay W5SL

Jay,

Thanks for the note regarding the tip on Page -69- of the Sep QST.  As noted
in the text credit goes to Terry, AB5K, who told me about the cool macros in
the AR-Cluster software.

Something got hosed in the editing process and QST added an extra '_' at the
end of each statement in Table 1. Do not type the _ as it will cause an
error.

After submitting the blurb to QST, I changed the assigned keys because I
prefer to use the keypad and the revised keys are easier to reach.

------------
AA5VU de AB5K-2    14-Aug 2046Z  arc >sh/macros

Macro0 set to: sh/heading
Macro1 set to: SH/ART
Macro2 set to: sh/dx/10 where comment like '%RTTY%'
Macro3 set to: sh/dx/10 where comment like '%PSK%'
Macro4 set to: sh/dx/25 where comment like '%RTTY%'
Macro5 set to:
Macro6 set to:
Macro7 set to: sh/dx where comment like '%PSK%'
Macro8 set to:
Macro9 set to: sh/dx/30 where freq > 14060.0 and freq < 14120.0
AA5VU de AB5K-2    14-Aug 2046Z  arc >
-------------

The macros I use most of the time are 0, 1, 2 and 3.  I use the 'zero and
prefix' all the time. For example, if you type "0  BS7", the cluster comes
back with

Country: BS7 = Scarborough Reef  336 deg (LP 156) 8025 mi (12912 km) from
AA5VU

Happiness would be a BS7 spot. HiHi

The tip at the end of the blurb was for use with the macro #1 ART (or
AR-Techology Callsign Database). QST did some text editing and moved the
text as a surfing footnote.  If you type 1 and a call, the cluster will give
you an address. If you then copy/paste the address into Google, you will get
a neat map showing the location of the QTH.  I just learned this is provided
you do not have a Texas 'FM' (Farm to Market) road in your address. Try it
on someone with a normal address that Google can understand.

I hope you will find the AR-Cluster macros as useful as I have.  I really
appreciated Terry, AB5K,  pointing out this cool user option.

73 de Dick, AA5VU

ps: If you want to try some of some of macros, just copy/paste the following
in (one at a time) at your AR-Cluster prompt:

set/macro 0= sh/heading
set/macro 1=SH/ART
set/macro 2= sh/dx/10 where comment like '%RTTY%'
set/macro 3= sh/dx/10 where comment like '%PSK%'